How to make a report really good?
The report writing allows the teacher to assess the level of competency of a student, his skills to apply the received knowledge in order to give the reasonable interpretation of the suggested situation. A proper report includes evidence relevant to the considered problem or issue. All the information is offered in brief. In general the style should be very consistent and logical; we’d say it should be even meagre with use of special vocabulary. In the result your report should be able to explain its purpose adhering to specifications, contain all the relevant facts and offer the conclusions resulting from the evidence and analysis. And there are some individual tips like writing a newspaper report you should concentrate on emotions, that is impossible when you work at the report about business or scientific research.
Ok, if you are going to cope with this task by yourself, you should follow the further stages:
- First, do your best to understand the purpose of the report reading the instruction attentively. The interests and preferences of the people for which the paper is developed should be clear.
- Now you can start looking for the information and selecting the needed facts. They can be taken from any sources: books, journals, original reports, surveys, scientific articles, questionnaires and others. The depth of research depends on the purpose and your instructions. Reading the facts you should determine their relevance to the report.
- The selected information should be arranged after all. Decide what sequence is the best following the plan.
- Reconsider the result. At this stage the conclusion already can be thought over. Is this material enough to draw the conclusion? Do you feel there is a lack of data or some pieces of information conflict with each other? Remember that the report should be well-structured.
- It’s time to write the paper if the above stages are performed in a proper way. It will be the first draft. You can begin with summary. Create chapters and sections to help you to follow the structure.
- Review the result and change it if you think it needs to be changed. There can be a lot of difficult points demanding the specialists participation, for example for technical report writing. Do you feel up to? If you do not, think over the professional assistance.
When you are satisfied with the content, logic and style of the writing, pay your attention to presentation. The headings of chapters should be clear, the requirements of the instruction are observed, the numeration should be correct. Ensure that there are no spelling and grammar errors.